Based on the mill that once stood in Lurgashall, West Sussex. Built in the 17th century it continued working until 1935. in 1973 it was moved to the Weald and Downland Living Museum, albeit with restyled roof. The model is presented with shuttered windows, operational double doors and rotating wheel (manual operation) . The penstock is closed to 'stop water flow' and window shutters closed. Therefore, the scene is a non-working day or, either side of working hours. Ground floor only internal decoration with optional gearing and beam gear cage viewed through the operational doors is included.
The prototype was built into the side of a road embankment and the head mill race was piped under the road from a mill pond on the other side. This favours the railway or diorama modeller because if the scene is set against a back scene, as shown in the photograph, then the mill pond need not be modelled, thus saving layout space. Also, with the penstock being closed there is no need to model flowing water.
Footprint: 140 mm x 133 mm (including retaining walls) .
Build skill level: ADVANCED (See Welcome Page for definition) .
Rated ADVANCED because of intricate wheel and gearing assembly.